Friday, July 8, 2011

A place for a baby!

I have been working on Caedy's room at full steam for several months. I am so excited to finally have it completed. The only thing that needs to be tackled are the clothes that need to be washed. It sure is fun to pull out all the super small clothes and try to remember both girls being small enough to wear them. But I digress...



When we found out we were having a girl I knew I wanted to go with a purple room that was decorated with whimsical owls. My great friend and painting buddy, Lisa Hoy, helped me get a beautiful purple color on the wall. She helped me paint Mac's room before she was born. Then I had to find the perfect owl fabric. This was harder than I thought it would be. I wanted owls and purple. That's a very narrow requirement. But of course I found what I wanted on ETSY!!! Good ol' ETSY. I then decided I wanted a tree over her bead. So, I went ahead and checked back on ETSY and found the perfect tree. And also on ETSY I found some really cute hand embroidery patterns that were owls. I picked those up as well =) Then lastly I needed her name somewhere in her room. The other two girls have these gorgeous hand painted name signs up over their beds. I wanted something a little bit different. So, I decided to make it with some applique and embroidery.



In the midst of all this room design my friend and a great customer of S&F started making her own gorgeous crocheted arts (which she turned into a business). One day she posted an adorable owl hat. I immediately told her I needed one. She also made the tie-dyed hat with matching flower clip, and the strawberry hat. Should you need a unique baby shower gift look up Jessica at Warm Fuzzies-Handmade Crochet Creations.
I can't wait to see Caedance in each of these hats. And I love that we can use the clips on headbands and in the big girls' hair.



I have made each girl a quilt that they use all the time. They are a little larger than a crib size quilt. Yes, Aby still completely fits under hers. McKinley sleeps with hers every night. I decided to not buy bedding and to just go with this quilt and to make a bumper pad as well. The front is the side with all the squares, and a corner of the back fabric is showing as well. The purple is the inspiration piece for the whole room. The quilt has it sprinkled throughout the whole thing.




Here my favorite wall is pictured. My friend, Jessica, helped me make the bumper just yesterday. I was so excited to spend time with her, and will always think of her when I look at this bedding.



This wall is what you see when you first walk in the room. Sorry the lighting is so bad. I couldn't get it to turn out well no matter what I did. But you get the idea. That window looks out into our backyard and it is framed off by some Crepe Myrtle Trees. Great place to change a few diapers. The pink hanging "lamp" is from a set of 3 that used to hang in my classroom. I thought it would be very eye catching for Caedy to watch as she has her diaper changed.





This is a look at the wall to the left when you walk in the door. I am still on the hunt for the perfect lamp, but this is a view of her name sign.






Close up of the owl/name. I plan on making a little adaptation to the owl and using it on a onesie. The eyes are my favorite part. They are made out of fabric and buttons. And her bow has some bling on it.



This is another view of what you see right when you walk in the door. Some very special neighbors gave us that painting as a gift. It was a perfect fit for the room.






Here is McKinley's favorite wall. The one that houses the toy shelf. I find her in her often just playing and rearranging all the toys.



These are the hand embroidered owls that I started back in June. I looked for frames to put these in, but I couldn't find any that I really liked (and the size frames I needed were soooo expensive). So I then had the idea to get more hoops like the one I used during the embroidery process. I painted each one a different color and cut the fabric to fit. They cost me a little over $1 each. And they are the perfect frames for the project.








I had so much fun making each project for this room and putting it all together. For the very last nursery that I will have in my home I am quite pleased with it. Actually it's more than that! I am in LOVE with how it turned out. Now all we need to do is continue to be patient and wait on the Lil' Angel who will end up calling it her own.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Becca, the room looks amazing! I am SO impressed (and a little jealous), seeing as how our baby room right now has nothing more than a crib and a ton of random stuff (baby and non-baby items) that still need to be cleaned out/organized. Wish you were here to help me transform it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This room looks fabulous! You did a great job! Congratulations on your new addition to the family. Josh and I wish you and Chris all of God's blessings as you celebrate this special time in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete